Authorities and dealing with them

Visa, extension of permission to stay, driving license, certificate of residence and many other important administrative procedures in Thailand are explained, and we answer the most important questions.


Visa, residence permit and immigration

What type of visa do I need for my visit in Thailand? All about the main types of visas for Thailand.

Permission To Stay - Visa for Thailand


Current information on the Non Immigrant visa Multiple

Non Immigrant Visa multiple entry

Overstay in Thailand - what are the consequences if I stay without a valid residence permit in Thailand?
Overstay in Thailand

Non Immigrant Visa "OA" long stay - the visa for an extended stay in Thailand.
Non-Immigrant Visa "O-A" long stay

Where and how do I apply for an extension of a tourist visa, and the tourist visa exemption?
Extension of tourist visa and tourist visa exemption

I want to live as a retiree in Thailand. Which residence permit do I need and how do I get it?
Extension of the permission to stay / retirement in Thailand

My spouse is Thai, and I would like to live together with her in Thailand. Which permission to stay do I need and how do I get it?
Extension of permission to stay for spouses of Thai citizens

The 90-day notification at Immigration - what is it and how does it relate to me?
90-day report - 90 day report to immigration

I have a permission to stay for Thailand and want to leave the country temporarily. What should I do, so that my permit does not expire?
Re-entry permit


In 2016 the Thai Immigration Bureau has begun to issue a list of supplementary questions to foreigners.

Supplementary questions for foreigners in Thailand


Visa from Laos

In the Thai consulates in Laos a visa for Thailand can be requested. It is important to note a couple of things.

A visa from the Thai embassy (consular) in Vientiane, Laos.
Visa from the Thai embassy (consular), Vientiane, Laos

A Non Immigrant visa from the Thai Consulate in Savannakhet, Laos
Non Immigrant visa for Thailand in Savannakhet, Laos

I want to go from Nong Khai to Laos to update my permission to stay in Thailand. What should I watch?
The visa run to Laos via the Friendship Bridge in Nong Khai


Other matters of immigration in Thailand

Immigration in Thailand also issues certificates of residence. And even if the worst happens and a foreigner in Thailand dies, the Immigration is responsible for the conduct of administrative things .

How do I get a certificate of residence?
Residence Certificate


Dying in Thailand - what comes after death? Important instructions and information in this eventuality!
Dying in Thailand - What comes after death?


Other public authorities and administrative procedures

Driver's license, yellow house book and health certificate: we explain how to overcome the obstacles in Thailand relating to the license and how to get a yellow house book.
Driving in Thailand - Instructions for applying for a Thai driving license

A driver's license is valid for 5 years maximum in Thailand. We explain how to get the license renewed.
License extension in Thailand

For the license you need a health certificate. How do you get that?
Health Certificate

A yellow house book acts as a certificate of residence, in most cases. How and where do you get the yellow book?
The Yellow House Book


Since the beginning of 2016 ID cards for foreigners living in Thailand can be obtained from the local municipality office (Amphoe / Amphur office). One prerequisite is that the applicant must already have a yellow house book.

ID card for foreigners living in Thailand


Applying for a new British passport
A new British passport these days is issued in Britain, but must be applied for in Bangkok.

Applying for a new British passport


Health card for foreigners in Thailand

Unfortunately, the health card for foreigners (farangs) is no longer available. Whoever is interested in what the card was, and what protection it provided, can check the following article:
Health card for foreigners

posted on: 17.12.2012 - last update on: 12.09.2016

This article ...

Add a comment

Have you done your own experiences? Do you have more questions? Simply use our comments function.

Before submitting your comment, please read our information and Terms of Use for comments. By saving your comment you accept our Terms of Use for comments.

To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.

Questions, corrections, additional information? Contact form

Follow us

Follow us on Twitter

Latest Articles

Sponsor News